Special Permission Process

NOTICE: Matriculated undergraduates can request special permission for closed sections of fall and spring courses only through the automated system described below. This system is available only during the special permission period, beginning shortly before the term and running through the first week of classes.


There are four kinds of special requests students may need to make to the undergraduate office to gain admittance to certain courses.

  • Admission to some honors courses is by permission of the department.
  • Admission to closed sections of regular courses requires a special permission number.
  • Admission to courses for which the prerequisites have been filled in an unusual way may require a prerequisite override.
  • Admission to Precalculus, Calculus I or Calculus II previously failed twice


Honors Courses

If you are not yet registered in an honors course or an honors section of a regular course in the forthcoming semester, you need to apply for special permission by completing the appropriate Special Permission Form available online (form will reopen late July). DO NOT use the Automated Web System to submit your request!

Requests for fall courses may be submitted during the previous spring or summer; requests for spring courses during the previous fall. When filling out the form, make sure you give a valid reason for your request (e.g. previous honors course, recommendation of professor, etc). Requests will be processed as they are received, so long as necessary information (current grades, references, ...) is available.

If you are already registered in an honors section for the forthcoming semester and would like to switch to another section of the SAME course, you need to use the Automated Web System to submit your request during one of the three rounds. Please see below for the dates.

Prerequisite overrides

A student who is unable to register for a course because he or she lacks the proper prerequisites should not request a special permission number. Under some circumstances – for example, if the student has taken appropriate prerequisite courses elsewhere, and these are not yet credited to his or her Rutgers transcript – please fill out a prerequisite override form.

If justification for receiving a prerequisite override is too complicated to adequately describe on the form on the online website, please go to the Advising Office of the Math Dept, room 308 of the Hill Center.

Closed Sections

Because of the high demand for many of the math department classes, many course sections are filled early in registration. Once the course is filled it is listed as Closed. However, we generally leave some spots open in the course to accomodate late registrants and transfer students. These final spots are assigned through the special permission for closed section process which starts shortly before the semester begins and continues through the first week of the semester. A student should first attempt to register through the Rutgers Web Registration System. If all sections that the student can take are closed, the student should submit a special permission form once the special permission process opens. (The schedule for the process will be listed on this web page shortly before the semester begins.)

The department makes a significant effort to accommodate as many students as possible during the process, and generally satisfies most of them, but unfortunately there is often not enough room to grant all requests.


  Re-taking Precalculus, Calculus I or Calculus II previously failed twice

Students who have failed Precalculus, Calculus I or Calculus II twice are not allowed by WebReg to register for the course a third time. These students should fill out the following online form and meet with the appropriate advisor. Students who have failed Precalculus twice must meet with the Basic Skills ad Precalculus advisor in LSH-B room 102A, LIV. Students who have failed Calculus I or Calculus II twice must meet with the advisor in HILL 308 BUSH. Afterwards, the students have to submit a request for a special permission number following the procedure for closed sections.

Students belonging to schools other than SAS, SEBS, and RBS should see their Dean

    • Fall and Spring Terms

      • Matriculated undergraduates should request special permission for admission to closed sections using the automated special permission system described below. While the special permission process is ongoing students should attend a section that they are trying to enter via special permission, so that no class time will be missed.
      • Non-matriculated undergraduate students and graduate students should request special permission for admission to closed sections by completing the appropriate special permission form available online. Decisions on these requests will be made during the first week of classes.

Summer 2019 Special Permission Rounds

Rounds of Special Permission

1st round of Special Permission for Session 1 only:

Begins: 9am, Friday, May 17
Ends: 5pm, Wednesday, May 22
Decision Date: 5pm, Thursday, May 23

 2nd round of Special Permission for Session 1 only:

 Begins: 9am, Friday, May 24
Ends: 5pm, Tuesday May 28
Decision Date: 5pm, Wednesday, May 29
Add/Drop period for Session 1: May 28 - May 30

3rd round of Special Permission for Session 2 only:

 Begins: 9am, Friday, June 14
 Ends: 5pm, Wednesday, June 19
Decision Date: 5pm, Thursday, June 20

4th round of Special Permission for Session 2 only: 

Begins: 9am, Friday, June 21
Ends: 5pm, Monday, June 24
Decision Date: 5pm, Tuesday, June 25
Add/Drop period for Session 2: June 24 - June 26

5th round of Special Permission for Session 3 only:

Begins: 9am, Friday, July 5
Ends: 5pm, Monday, July 8
Decision Date: 5pm, Tuesday, July 9
Add/Drop period for Session 3: July 8 - July 10

Course selection for new requests will be unavailable between the end of one round and the start of the next



If you receive an email informing you that your request has been
granted, you must login within 3 days of when the email is sent
in order to retrieve your special permission number.

Automated special permission system

For CLOSED SECTIONS – For matriculated undergraduates
Fall and Spring Semesters

Automated Web System
Enter Here

Special Note: If you are unable to load the page when following the 'Enter Here' link, please clear your browser's cache and cookies, close the broswer, then re-open and try again.

NOTE: When vieing the Special Permission login page for the first time, you may get a notice that the SSL certificate is invalid. You can disregard this and know that the site is still perfectly secure. In order to fix this, please add a permanent exception and reload the page. If you need help with this, please see our documentation regrading this issue: Certificate Errors


  • Who Can Use the Online Special Permission System?
    Matriculated undergraduates who wish to get special permission to enter closed sections of mathematics courses should use the mathematics department's web-based system.
  • How Do I Login?
    Students need to use their NetID and password to access the online special permission system. Students using this system DO NOT need to have their own computer accounts or e-mail addresses. They only need access to the web which is available on all campuses. Deans' Offices should be prepared to help disabled students with their special permission requests.