The Diversity and Inclusion Committee (see below for membership) is charged with providing suggestions and resources that will help the department become a more welcoming and nurturing environment for faculty and students from all backgrounds, including those from under-represented groups, and improve recruiting and mentoring of faculty and students; and advising the undergraduate and graduate directors to help instructors conduct their classroom in more inclusive way.
1. Resources for pregnancy and parental leave for TAs/GAs and full-time faculty. Under the current contracts (2020) Rutgers offers paid leave of up to eight weeks for a parent to have parental leave after the child is born or when a child is adopted, regardless of gender, marital status/domestic partnership, or sexual orientation. Additionally, the birth mother receives six to eight weeks of paid recuperative leave.
2. Resources on bias in letters of recommendation:
- Recommendation letters reflect gender bias
- Gender and letters of recommendation for academia: agentic and communal differences
- 3. Resources on bias in hiring
- How To Minimize Unconscious Bias During Recruitment
- 7 Practical Ways to Reduce Bias in Your Hiring Process
- Committees with implicit biases promote fewer women when they do not believe gender bias exists
- Is Gender Bias Really Impacting The Hiring Of Women In STEM
- 6 Ways to Eliminate Gender Bias in the Workplace
- Description and Prescription: How Gender Stereotypes Prevent Women’s Ascent Up the Organizational Ladder. Regarding necessity for specific hiring criteria.
- https://bit.ly/2Y1fh98 No Credit Where Credit Is Due: Attributional Rationalization of Women’s Success in Male–Female Teams
- Tutorials for Change; Gender Schemas and Science Careers
4. Committee on Diversity and Inclusion
Angela Gibney, Chair < email@example.com > ;
Michael Beals < firstname.lastname@example.org >;
Fioralba Cakoni <email@example.com>;
Paul Feehan <firstname.lastname@example.org>;
Shari Prevost <email@example.com>;
Michael Saks <firstname.lastname@example.org>;
Sheila Tabanli <email@example.com>;
Christopher Woodward <firstname.lastname@example.org>