Frequently Asked Questions

Information for undergraduates

Disclaimer: This page is provided by the mathematics department for informational purposes only. Official policies are found elsewhere and this FAQ may be out of date or oversimplified in some cases.


Placement Questions

Q. How do I schedule a placement test?
A. You can register for a placement test on-line at the Office of Institutional Research. Other questions regarding the schedule of placement exams can be addressed to April Pagano at 732-932-8445.
Q. Where can I find my mathematics placement code?
A. You can use Degree Navigator to review all SAS and major requirements. The placement result is given under the program "SAS Liberal Arts General Education Requirements". Please note however that whenever you need to see your placement score, you probably need to consult our academic advising staff as well.
Q. What is a mathematics placement code?
A typical code is
This is read as follows:
  • MA: Math placement test
  • 640: Mathematics courses
  • PCA: Pre-calculus. You are eligible to take a pre-calculus course
See the full list of placement codes.
More placement advice

Special Permission Questions

Q. What is a special permission number?
A. A number issued by the mathematics department when departmental permission is required for entry into a section of a course. There are two possible reasons for this:
  1. The course as a whole requires departmental permission (most honors courses and other special courses).
  2. The section is fully enrolled (closed).
Q. How do I apply for a special permission number to enter a closed section of a course?
A. Use the on-line system, which opens shortly before the beginning of the term. See the special permission web page for details.
There are a few exceptions to this:
  • Graduate students and other students not enrolled as full-time undergraduates submit the non-matriculated student form from our forms page before the beginning of the term. These forms will be reviewed together with the matriculated student requests, around the beginning of the term.
  • Honors courses require a separate application, available on our forms page.
  • Summer school courses: write to  
Q. How do I apply for permission to enter an honors course?
A. Submit the form for special permission for honors courses found on our Forms page. This requests a link to your transcript. If you have the transcript but no link for it, you may submit a paper copy at the Undergraduate Office, Hill 303.
Q. What credit limits apply during registration?
A. For most students, registration is limited to 18 credits until the beginning of the term. For details consult the registrar's webpage.
More information on special permission numbers

Grade Appeal Questions

Q. How do I appeal or file a complaint about a grade in a math course?
A. Students wishing to file a complaint about a course grade, or a grade received for a particular piece of work in a course, should first attempt to resolve the matter through discussion with the instructor. If the issue cannot be satisfactorily resolved between student and instructor, the student may specify in writing the basis for the complaint and request a review by the math department's ombudsperson. To begin this process, the student needs to contact the department office and ask for the "ombudsman appeal form." A written complaint about a grade for work completed while the course is in progress must be submitted to the math department's ombudsperson no later than two weeks after notification of the grade. A student must submit a written complaint about a final course grade to the math department's ombudsperson no later than four weeks after the end of the exam period for that term. The decision reached by the ombudsperson is considered the decision of the department.
The undergraduate office can be reached by phone at (848) 445-2390 (press 2 for undergraduate office) or by email at . To find out the procedure for appealing the decision of the department, please visit the SAS grade appeals page

Prerequisite Overrides

Q.  What is a prerequisite override?
A. The Mathematics Department can override a prerequisite requirement if you have satisfied the requirement in a way that is not recognized by the registration computer (late transfer, proficiency, or an unusual course outside the department).
More information about proficiency examinations
Q. How do I apply for a prerequisite override?
A. Contact the Head Mathematics Advisor at .

Transfer or Pre-Approval of Courses Taken Elsewhere

Q. As a transfer student arriving at Rutgers, how do I get my courses taken elsewhere evaluated for credit at Rutgers?
A. See the Head advisor. For courses taken outside the state of New Jersey bring in a syllabus if possible.
Q. As a continuing Rutgers student, when and how do I get approval of courses I wish to take elsewhere?
A. Before registering for a summer course in mathematics taken elsewhere, see the Head Advisor to review your prerequisites and the acceptability of the course. No course given in a session of less than 5 weeks is accepted.

Late Withdrawal

Q. May I request a  late withdrawal?
A. In extraordinary circumstances, such requests would be made through your dean. If they feel the request has merit, they will request further information from the mathematics department, and they may give you a form to bring to us, or they may contact us directly. Failure to attend class is not sufficient grounds for a late withdrawal.

Final Exam Schedule

Q.How do I determine my  final exam schedule?
A.The Scheduling Office has a  final exam webpage. Log in to get your full examination schedule (dates and times). Rooms should be assigned, and announced in class,  about two weeks before the end of term. Dates should be checked at the beginning of term for possible conflicts, and brought to the attention of the instructor immediately.
Q. (a) What is an exam conflict, and (b) how are they resolved?
(a) A conflict is: two exams scheduled for the same period; 3 or more exams for the same day; 3 or more exams in consecutive examination periods (reference).
(b) To resolve the conflict, print out your schedule at and show it to your instructor. It is up to the instructors involved to reschedule one of the exams. If one of the classes is a large lecture, this is generally the one for which a makeup is most easily arranged.

Repeating Courses

Q. May I repeat a course? 
A. Yes, but different rules apply depending on the original grade received:
  • Grade of D or F; or
  • Courses passed with a C or better.
SAS students should read the statement of SAS policies for repeated courses and others should consult their deans.

Auditing Courses

Q. May I audit a course?
A.Full time students, and senior citizens(aged 62 and above), may audit courses at Rutgers. Some limitations apply.

Academic Advising

Q. I need to see the Head Advisor. What is the advising schedule?
A. The schedule is posted on the Advising Office home page. No appointment is necessary.
For basic skills and precalculus (through 115) consult Lew Hirsch. For all other courses (103-107, calculus, and above) consult our Head Advisor.
Routine business can be conducted by email to :

The Math Major

Q. How do I declare a math major?
A. See this page for the form.
To be admitted into the mathematics major program, a student must normally have completed three terms of calculus with a grade of C or better in each course. To continue as a mathematics major, a student is expected to make satisfactory progress toward completing the program. Under normal circumstances, satisfactory progress for a full-time student means completion of at least one mathematics course each term, at an appropriate level, with a grade of C or better.
More information about the major

Second Baccalaureate

Q: Can I take a second bachelor's degree at Rutgers?
A: Yes, with thirty additional credits in SAS, and subject to certain other requirements including those of your major, see the SAS Degree Requirements page.

Student Organizations

Q: Where can I find information about Student Organizations at Rutgers?
A: See the site for information about organizations, including the registration process for new organizations.

Academic Integrity

Q: What are the rules concerning academic integrity, and how are they enforced?
A: There is a detailed policy, administered by the Office of Judicial Affairs. Full information can be found at their Academic Integrity page. Students need to be aware of the policy and the penalties for violations of the code.
In the mathematics department, all complaints regarding cheating or other violations of the code are referred through the Undergraduate Office to the Office of Judicial Affairs, and are followed up.

The Academic Calendar

Q. What happens to the schedule Thanksgiving week?
A. Usually, the Tuesday before Thanksgiving follows a Thursday schedule and the Wednesday before Thanksgiving follows a Friday schedule. (But not always; check the calendar!)
3 year Academic Calendar

Office of Judicial Affairs

Academic Integrity

SAS Deans

For general Academic Advising SAS students may consult the Office of Academic Services.

Disclaimer: Posted for informational purposes only

This material is posted by the faculty of the Mathematics Department at Rutgers New Brunswick for informational purposes. Some information may be out of date, or a simplified formulation of official policy.