Department of Mathematics Directory
- Liping Liu
- Professor of Mathematics & Mechanical Aerospace Engineering
- Faculty, Research
- Applied Analysis
- Specialty Area: Mechanics and Mathematics of Materials
- Email: email@example.com
- Campus: busch
- Office hours - 1:
- Campus (2): busch
- Office hours - 2:
MW 3:15pm 4:45pm
- Research Interests: Mechanics and Mathematics of Materials
Professor of Mathematics, and Mechanical Aerospace Engineering, Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ
1996-2000 Bachelor of Engineering in Mechanics and Engineering Science, July 2000
Beijing (or Peking) University, Beijing, China
2000-2006 Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering and Mechanics, August 2006
University of Minnesota, Twin Cities
Jul. 2019 - Present Professor, Department of Mathematics & Department of
Mechanical Aerospace Engineering, Rutgers University, NJ
Jul. 2014 - Jul. 2019 Associate Professor, Department of Mathematics & Department of
Mechanical Aerospace Engineering, Rutgers University, NJ
Jan. 2012 - Jul. 2014 Assistant Professor, Department of Mathematics & Department of
Mechanical Aerospace Engineering, Rutgers University, NJ
Oct. 2008 - Jan. 2012 Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering,
University of Houston, Houston, TX
Oct. 2006 - Oct. 2008 Postdoctoral Scholar, Division of Engineering and Applied Science,
California Institute of Technology, CA
AWARDS AND HONORS:
Best Dissertation Award, College of Science and Engineering, University of Minnesota (one awardee per year in the college), 2008
Professor of the Year (Teaching Award), American Society of Mechanical Engineering at University of Houston, 2010
Young Investigator Program Award, AFOSR, 2012
Eshelby Award for Young Faculty, 2014
CAREER Award, NSF: CMMI, 2014
Young Investigator Medal, Society of Engineering Science, 2015
Melville Medal for the best paper, ASME, 2015 (Coauthored with Parnia Mohammadi and Pradeep Sharma)
Simons Fellow, Simons Foundation, 2016
Chancellor’s Scholar Award, Rutgers University, 2016
T.J Hughes Young Investigator Award, ASME, 2018
Google Scholar Link (Disclaimer: auto-managed by google, not always manually verified)
- M Torbati, K Mozaffari, L Liu, P Sharma, Coupling of mechanical deformation and electromagnetic fields in biological cells, Reviews of Modern Physics 94 (2), 025003, 2022
- K Mozaffari, L Liu, P Sharma, Theory of soft solid electrolytes: Overall properties of composite electrolytes, effect of deformation and microstructural design for enhanced ionic conductivity, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids 158, 104621, 2022
- N Khodabandehloo, K Mozaffari, L Liu, P Sharma, Micro-Structural Design of Soft Solid Composite Electrolytes with Enhanced Ionic Conductivity, Journal of Applied Mechanics, 1-12, 2022
- T Yuan, W Yuan, L Liu, JW Shan, Electric-field-controlled diffusion of anisotropic particles: theory and experiment, Journal of Fluid Mechanics 924, 2021
- K Tan, X Wen, Q Deng, S Shen, L Liu, P Sharma, Soft rubber as a magnetoelectric material—Generating electricity from the remote action of a magnetic field, Materials Today 43, 8-16, 2021
- F. Darbaniyan, K. Mozaffari, L. Liu, P. Sharma, Soft matter mechanics and the mechanisms underpinning the infrared vision of snakes, Matter 4 (1), 241-252, 2021
- R Li, C Ibar, Z Zhou, S Moazzeni, AN Norris, KD Irvine, L Liu, H Lin, E2 and gamma distributions in polygonal networks
Physical Review Research 3 (4), L042001, 2021
- Seyedsajad Moazzeni, Yasir Demiryurek, Miao Yu, David I Shreiber, Jeffrey D Zahn, Jerry W Shan, Ramsey A Foty, Liping Liu, Hao Lin, Single-cell mechanical analysis and tension quantification via electrodeformation relaxation, Physical Review E 103 (3), 032409, 2021
- X Zhu, Z Qian, X Chen, L Liu, C Sheng, W Gu, Electrohydrodynamics-printed silver nanoparticle flexible pressure sensors with improved gauge factor, IEEE Sensors Journal 21 (5), 5836-5844, 2020
- S. Krichen, L. Liu, P. Sharma, “Liquid inclusions in soft materials: capillary effect, mechanical stiffening and enhanced electromechanical response”, Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids, 127, 332-357, 2019.
- F. Darbaniyan, K. Dayal, L. Liu, P. Sharma, “Designing soft pyroelectric and electrocaloric materials using electrets”, Soft Matter, 15, 262 – 277, 2019.
- Yuan, W., Tutuncuoglu, G., Mohabir, A., Liu, L., Feldman, L. C., Filler, M. A., & Shan, J. (2019). Contactless Electrical and Structural Characterization of Semiconductor Nanowires with Axially Modulated Doping Profiles. Small, 15(15).
- L. P. Liu, P. Sharma. Emergent electromechanical coupling of electrets and some exact relations —The effective properties of soft materials with embedded external charges and dipoles. J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 112:1-24, 2018.
- M. Yu, A. Mahtabfar, P. Beelen, Y. Demiryurek, D. Shreiber, J. D. Zahn, R. Foty, L.P. Liu, H. Lin. Coherent Timescales and Mechanical Structure of Multi-Cellular Aggregates. Biophysical Journal, 114(3), p652a, 2018 .
- W. Wang, L.P. Liu. Solitary waves in two dimensional granular crystals. Acta Mechanica, 2017, In Press.
- H.X. Wang*, L. P. Liu and D. Liu. Equilibrium shapes of a heterogeneous bubble in an electric field: a variational formulation and numerical verifications. Proceeding A, In press.
- S. Shannon, D. Jia, I. Entersz, P. Beelen, M. Yu*, C. Carcione, J. Carcione, A. Mahtabfar, C. Vaca, M. Weaver, D. Shreiber, J. D. Zahn, L.P. Liu, H. Lin, and R. A. Foty. Inhibition of glioblastoma dispersal by the MEK-inhibitor PD0325901, BMC Cancer, 17:121, 2017.
- W. Yuan*, L.P. Liu, and J. Shan. Tunable acoustic attenuation in dilute suspensions of non-spherical magnetic Particles, J. App. Phys. 121, 045110, 2017.
- L.P. Liu, M. Yu*, H. Lin and R. Foty. Deformation and relaxation of an incompressible viscoelastic body with surface viscoelasticity. J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 98:309-329, 2017.
- J. Yvonnet, L.P. Liu. A numerical framework for modeling flexoelectricity and Maxwell stress in soft dielectrics at finite strains. Comp. Meth. Appl. Mech. Engr., 313:450-482, 2017.
- H. Agrawala*, L.P. Liu, P. Sharma. Revisiting the curvature-mediated interactions between proteins in biological membranes. Soft Matter, 12(43):8907-8918, 2016.
- H. Agrawala*, M. Zeliskoa, L.P. Liu, P. Sharma. Rigid proteins and softening of biological membranes---with application to HIC-induced cell membrane softening (12pg). Scientific Report, 6: 25412. 2016.
- L.P. Liu and N. Lu. Variational formulations, instabilities and critical loadings of space curved beams (13pg). Int. J. Solid. Struc., 87:48-60, 2016.
- X.B. Li*, L.P. Liu and P. Sharma. A New Type of Maxwell Stress in Soft Materials due to Quantum Mechanical-Elasticity Coupling (14pg), J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 87, 115–129, 2016.
- X.B. Li*, L.P. Liu and P. Sharma. Geometrically nonlinear deformation and the emergent behavior of polarons in soft matter (6pg, Communication). Soft Matter, 11, 8042-8047, 2015.
- L.X. Hu* and L. P. Liu. From atomistics to continuum: effects of a free surface and determination of surface elasticity properties (10pg). Mechanics of Materials, 90, 202-211, 2015.
- F. Ahmadpoor, L. P. Liu and P. Sharma. Thermal fluctuations and the minimum electrical field that can be detected by a biological membrane (13 pg). J. Mech. Phys. Solid, 78，110-122，2015.
- Z. Alameh*, Q. Deng*, L. P. Liu and P. Sharma. Using electrets to design concurrent magnetoelectricity and piezoelectricity in soft materials (7pg). Journal of Material Research, 30:93-100, 2015
- L. P. Liu. Feasibility of Large-scale power plants based on thermoelectric effects. New Journal of Physics, 16, 123019, 2014
- Q. Deng*, L. P. Liu and P. Sharma. Flexoelectricity in Soft and Biological Materials (18pg), J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 62, 209-227, 2014.
- L. P. Liu. Inhomogeneities of minimum field concentration (8pg). Mechanics of Materials, 75, 95-102, 2014.
- L. X. Hu* and L. P. Liu. Interfacial waves with surface elasticity (6pg). J. Appl. Mech, 81, 081007, 2014.
- Q. Deng*, L. P. Liu and P. Sharma. Electrets in soft materials: nonlinearity, size effects, and giant electromechanical coupling (7 pg). Phy. Rev. E, 90, 012603, 2014.
- L. P. Liu. A differential approach to microstructure-dependent bounds for multiphase heterogeneous media (8pg). Acta Mechanica, 225, 1245-1266, 2014.
- Y. Hanlumyuang, L.P. Liu and P. Sharma. Revisiting the entropic force between fluctuating biological membranes? (8pg) J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 63, 179-186, 2014.
- L. P. Liu. An energy formulation of continuum magneto-electro-elastics with applications (30pg), J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 63:451-480, 2014.
- F. Ahmadpoor, Q. Deng, L. P. Liu and P. Sharma. Apparent flexoelectricity in lipid bilayer membranes due to external charge and dipolar distributions (5pg). Phy. Rev. E., 88, 050701 (Rapid Communication), 2013.
- L. P. Liu and P. Sharma. Giant and universal magneto-electric coupling in soft materials and concomitant ramifications for materials science and biology (5pg). Phy. Rev. E., 88, 040601 (Rapid Communication), 2013.
- L. P. Liu and D. Onofrei. Engineering anisotropy to amplify a long wavelength field without a limit (15pg), Proc. of Roy. Soc. A, 469, 20130246, 2013.
- L. P. Liu and P. Sharma. Flexoelectricity and Thermal Fluctuations of Lipid Bilayer Membranes: Renormalization of Flexoelectric, Dielectric and Elastic Properties (8pg), Phy. Rev. E., 87, 032715, 2013.
- P. Mohammadi*, L. P. Liu, Pradeep Sharma. A Theory of Flexoelectric Membranes and Effective Properties of Heterogeneous Membranes, ASME J. Appl. Mech. 81(11 pg), 011007, 2013.
- L. P. Liu. On energy formulations of electrostatics for continuum media (23pg). J. Mech. Phys. Solids 61, 968-990, 2013
- L. P. Liu. Polynomial eigenstress inducing polynomial strain of the same degree in an ellipsoidal inclusion and its applications (13pg), Mechanics and Mathematics of Solids 18, 168-180, 2013.
- P. Mohammadi*, L. P. Liu, Pradeep Sharma, R. V. Kukta. Surface Energy, Elasticity and the Homogenization of Rough Surfaces, J. Mech. Phys. Solids 61, 325-340, 2013.
- Y. X. Zhang and L. P. Liu. On diffusion in heterogeneous media (20pg). American Journal of Science, 312, 1028-1047, 2012.
- L. P. Liu, Hsin-Yi Kuo. Closed-form solutions to the effective properties of fibrous magnetoelectric composites and their applications (8pg). Int. J. Struct. Solids, 49, 3055-3062, 2012.
- L. P. Liu. A continuum theory of thermoelectric bodies and effective properties of thermoelectric composites (19pg). Int. J. Eng. Sci. 55, 35-53, 2012.
- L. X. Hu*, L. P. Liu, K. Bhattacharya. Existence of surface waves and band gaps in periodic heterogeneous half-spaces (15pg). J Elasticity, 107, 65-79, 2011.
- L. P. Liu. Designing magnets with prescribed fields (11 pg). New Journal of Physics, 13, 033013, 2011.
- L. P. Liu. New optimal microstructures and restrictions on the attainable Hashin-Shtrikman bounds for multiphase composite materials. (9 pg) Phil. Mag. Lett. 91, 473, 2011.
- Vikram Gavini and L. P. Liu. An analysis of the field theoretic approach to quasi-continuum method (16pg). J. Mech. Phys. Solids. 59, 1536-1551, 2011.
- L. P. Liu. Neutral shells and their applications in the design of electromagnetic shields (19pg). Proceedings of Royal Society A. 466 (2124) 3659-3677, 2010.
- L.P. Liu. Hashin-Shtrikman bounds and their attainability for multiphase composites (21pg). Proceedings of Royal Society A. 466 (2124) 3693-3713, 2010.
- L.P. Liu. Solutions to periodic Eshelby inclusion problems (34pg). Mechanics and Mathematics of Solids. 15: 557-590, 2010.
- L.P. Liu and K. Bhattacharya. Wave propagation in a sandwich structure. (11pg) Int. J. Solids and Structures, 46: 3290-3300, 2009
- L.P. Liu. Effective conductivities of two-phase composites with a singular phase (9pg). J. Appl. Phys. 105, 103503, 2009.
2008 and before
- L.P. Liu. Solutions to the Eshelby conjectures (22pg). Proceedings of Royal Society A, 464 (2091): 573-594, 2008.
- L.P. Liu, R.D. James, and P.H. Leo. Periodic inclusion-matrix microstructures with constant field inclusions (7pg). Met. Mater. Trans. A, 38:781—787, 2007.
- L.P. Liu, R.D. James, and P.H. Leo. Magnetostrictive composites in the dilute limit (24pg). J. Mech. Phys. Solids, 54 (5): 951--974, 2006.
- Mailing Address:
110 Frelinghuysen Rd., Piscataway, NJ 08854-8019
- Research Description:
Our research group at Rutgers University focus on mechanics and materials --- multiscale-multiphysics analysis and modeling, optimal design of multiphase and multifunctional composites, and theoretical and computational material science.
Research topics we are interested ininclude:
Optimal bounds and optimal microstructures for multiphase composites
Predictive modeling of multifunctional composites
Dynamic modeling of heterogeneous structures/media
Variational inequalities and their applications in designs
Superconductive composites and modeling
Thermoelectric materials, modeling, design and energy harvesting
Continuum theory for multiferroic materials
Multiscale analysis: homogenization theory and theories for lower dimensional bodies
- Undergraduate Research Mentees:
- Lixin Hu, Ph.D., graduated in 2015
- Hanxiong Wang, Ph.D., graduated in 2019
- Wuhan Yuan, Ph.D., graduated in 2019
1. Optimal bounds and optimal microstructures for multiphase composites