Seminars & Colloquia Calendar
Data analysis in high-dimensional spaces
Adi Ben Israel, Rutgers University (RUTCOR)
Date & time: Thursday, 06 May 2021 at 5:00PM - 6:00PM
1. The unreliability of the Euclidean distance in high-dimension, making a proximity query meaningless and unstable because there is poor discrimination between the nearest and furthest neighbor , see also .
2. The uniform probability distribution on the n-dimensional unit sphere S_n, and some non-intuitive results for large \(n\). For example, if x is any point in S_n, taken as the "north pole", then most of the area of S_n is concentrated in the "equator".
3. The advantage of the \(ell_1\)-distance, which is less sensitive to high dimensionality, and has been shown to "provide the best discrimination in high-dimensional data spaces," [1, p. 427].
4. Clustering high-dimensional data using the \(ell_1\) distance, .
 C.C. Aggarwal et al, On the surprising behavior of distance metrics in high dimensional space, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 1973(2001), Springer, https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-44503-X_27
 T. Asamov and A. Ben-Israel, A probabilistic \(ell_1\) method for clustering high-dimensional data, Probability in the Engineering and Informational Sciences, 2021, 1-16
 K. Beyer et al, When is "nearest neighbor" meaningful?, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 1540(1999), Springer, https://doi.org/10.1007/3-540-49257-7_15
 J.M. Hammersley, The distribution of distance in a hypersphere, The Annals of Mathematical Statistics 21(1950), 447452.
R. Shapiro Organizer's Page
Chiara Damiolini, Ian Coley and Franco Rota -Charles Weibel Organizer's Page
Wujun Zhang Organizer's webpage
Ziming Shi, Sagun Chanillo, Xiaojun Huang, Chi Li, Jian Song Seminar website Old seminar website
Swastik Kopparty, Sepehr Assadi Seminar webpage
Jeffry Kahn, Bhargav Narayanan, Jinyoung Park Organizer's webpage
Brooke Ogrodnik, Website
Robert Dougherty-Bliss and Doron Zeilberger --> homepage
Paul Feehan, Daniel Ketover, Natasa Sesum Organizer's webpage
Lev Borisov, Emanuel Diaconescu, Angela Gibney, Nicolas Tarasca, and Chris Woodward Organizer's webpage
Jason Saied Seminar webpage
Brian Pinsky, Rashmika Goswami website
Quentin Dubroff Organizer's webpage
James Holland; Organizer website
Edna Jones Organizer's webpage
Brooke Ogrodnik website
Yanyan Li, Zheng-Chao Han, Jian Song, Natasa Sesum Organizer's Webpage
Organizer: Luochen Zhao
Yanyan Li, Zheng-Chao Han, Natasa Sesum, Jian Song Organizer's Page
Lisa Carbone, Yi-Zhi Huang, James Lepowsky, Siddhartha Sahi Organizer's webpage
Simon Thomas website
Kasper Larsen, Daniel Ocone and Kim Weston Organizer's page
Joel Lebowitz, Michael Kiessling
Yanyan Li, Haim Brezis Organizer's Webpage
Stephen D. Miller, John C. Miller, Alex V. Kontorovich, Alex Walker seminar website
Stephen D. Miller
Brooke Ogrodnik, Website
Organizers: Yanyan Li, Z.C. Han, Jian Song, Natasa Sesum
Yael Davidov Seminar webpage
Kristen Hendricks, Xiaochun Rong, Hongbin Sun, Chenxi Wu Organizer's page
Fioralba Cakoni Seminar webpage
Ebru Toprak, Organizer
Organizer's webpage: Organizer's webpage
- Show events from all categories
Special Note to All Travelers
Directions: map and driving directions. If you need information on public transportation, you may want to check the New Jersey Transit page.
Unfortunately, cancellations do occur from time to time. Feel free to call our department: 848-445-6969 before embarking on your journey. Thank you.