NOTICE: Matriculated undergraduates can request special permission for closed sections of fall and spring courses only through the automated system described below. This system is available only during the special permission period, beginning shortly before the term and running through the first week of classes.
There are three kinds of special requests students may need to make to the undergraduate office to gain admittance to certain courses.
- Admission to some honors courses is by permission of the department.
- Admission to closed sections of regular courses requires a special permission number.
- Admission to courses for which the prerequisites have been filled in an unusual way may require a prerequisite override.
|Procedures (Fall and Spring Terms)|
|Honors courses||Prerequisite overrides||Closed sections|
|Automated Web System|
Students should request special permission for these courses by completing the appropriate special permission form available online or in the Mathematics Undergraduate Office located in Hill Center, Room 303 on Busch Campus.
Requests for fall courses may be submitted during the previous spring or summer; requests for spring courses during the previous fall.
A student who is unable to register for a course because he or she lacks the
proper prerequisites should not request a special permission
Under some circumstances—for example, if the student has taken appropriate prerequisite
courses elsewhere, and these are not yet credited
to his or her
A student should seek this form of special permission only after trying to register through the Rutgers Web Registration System and finding that all sections that he or she can take are closed.
While the department tries to accommodate students, there is NO GUARANTEE that any special permission request will be granted.
Fall and Spring Terms
- Matriculated undergraduates should request special permission for admission to closed sections using the automated special permission system described below. While the special permission process is ongoing students should attend a section that they are trying to enter via special permission, so that no class time will be missed.
- Non-matriculated undergraduate students and graduate students should request special permission for admission to closed sections by completing the appropriate special permission form available online or in the Mathematics Undergraduate Office located in Hill Center, Room 303 on Busch Campus. Decisions on these requests will be made during the first week of classes.
11:00pm, Wednesday, August 26, 2015
4:00pm, Friday, August 28, 2015
4:00pm, Thursday, September 3, 2015
12:00pm, Saturday, September 5, 2015
4:00pm, Tuesday, September 8, 2015
9:00am, Wednesday, September 9, 2015
Last day to ADD courses
Wednesday, Sept. 9, 2015
granted, you must login again within 3 days of when the email is sent
in order to retrieve your special permission number.
Automated special permission system
For CLOSED SECTIONS – For matriculated undergraduates
Fall and Spring Semesters
NOTE: When vieing the Special Permission login page for the first time, you may get a notice that the SSL certificate is invalid. You can disregard this and know that the site is still perfectly secure. In order to fix this, please add a permanent exception and reload the page. If you need help with this, please see our documentation regrading this issue: Certificate Errors
- Who Can Use the Online Special Permission System?
Matriculated undergraduates who wish to get special permission to enter closed sections of mathematics courses should use the mathematics department's web-based system.
- How Do I Login?
Students need to use their NetID and password to access the online special permission system. Students using this system DO NOT need to have their own computer accounts or e-mail addresses. They only need access to the web which is available on all campuses. Deans' Offices should be prepared to help disabled students with their special permission requests.