General Information (Catalog listing)
01:640:250 INTRODUCTORY LINEAR ALGEBRA (3)
Prerequisite: CALC2 or 01:640:136 or 138.
Systems of linear equations, Gaussian elimination, matrices and determinants, vectors in two- and three-dimensional Euclidean space, vector spaces, introduction to eigenvalues and eigenvectors. Possible additional topics: systems of linear inequalities and systems of differential equations.
Spence, Insel, & Friedberg: Elementary Linear Algebra: A Matrix Approach, 2nd Edition , Prentice-Hall (ISBN # 978-0-13-187141-0).
The authors of the textbook also have a companion web site
containing supplementary material, including multiple choice tests
covering the topics in the course. Students can take these tests
on-line and see the graded results of each test immediately.
- suggested syllabus (PDF Format) (plain TeX file)
- suggested homework problems (PDF Format) (plain TeX file)
- Information about Math 250C (MATLAB sections)
- The details and pace of the syllabus and the timing of the mid-term exams will vary from section to section. Each section has its own midterm and final exams. The final exam times are determined from the class meeting hour. See Final exam schedule for details.
Fall 2014 Schedule
(click for map)
|Robinson, Thomas||L||00348||C1||MW4||1:40 PM - 3:00 PM||ARC-333||BUS|
|Rong, Xiaochun||L||07998||C2||MW5||3:20 PM - 4:40 PM||SEC-206||BUS|
|Chanillo, Sagun||L||04118||01||MTh1||8:40 AM - 10:00 AM||SEC-202||BUS|
|Cramer, Scott||L||05991||02||MTh2||10:20 AM - 11:40 AM||SEC-203||BUS|
|Shtelen, Vladimir||L||04539||03||TF1||8:40 AM - 10:00 AM||SEC-210||BUS|
|Taft, Earl||L||13187||04||TTh6||5:00 PM - 6:20 PM||ARC-206||BUS|
|Taft, Earl||L||04540||05||TTh5||3:20 PM - 4:40 PM||ARC-204||BUS|
|Shtelen, Vladimir||L||04119||06||TF2||10:20 AM - 11:40 AM||SEC-207||BUS|
|Huang, Xiaojun||L||14817||07||MTh1||8:40 AM - 10:00 AM||SEC-217||BUS|
|Russell, Matthew||L||12950||08||TF2||10:20 AM - 11:40 AM||TIL-105||LIV|
|Popa, Alexandra||L||04016||09||MW5||3:20 PM - 4:40 PM||BE-201||LIV|
|Popa, Alexandra||L||03516||10||MW6||5:00 PM - 6:20 PM||BRR-5073||LIV|
|Chung, Sjuvon||L||02432||11||MW7||6:10 PM - 7:30 PM||FH-B2||CAC|
|Corwin, Nathan||L||00349||12||MW8||7:40 PM - 9:00 PM||FH-B3||CAC|
|Rainsford, Augusta||L||16540||13||MTh2||10:20 AM - 11:40 AM||BRR-5105||LIV|
|Rainsford, Augusta||L||19041||14||MTh3||12:00 PM - 1:20 PM||BRR-5117||LIV|
|Sequin, Matthew||L||19042||15||TF3||12:00 PM - 1:20 PM||LSH-B115||LIV|
Matlab Assignments for Math 250C
- Lab 1: Matrix and Vector Computations in MATLAB
- Lab 2: Linear Equations and Matrix Algebra
- Lab 3: LU Decomposition and Determinants
- Lab 4: General Solution to Ax = b
- Lab 5: Eigenvalues and Eigenvectors
- Lab 6: Orthonormal Bases, Orthogonal Projections, and Least Squares
Sample Exams and Video Lectures
Linear Algebra and MATLAB
- MATLAB Tutorial (from M.I.T.)
- MATLAB Teaching Codes: directory and files zip file
ATLAST Project Home Page
- Other Web Resources for MATLAB
Back to Math Department Main Course Page
Disclaimer: Posted for informational purposes only
This material is posted by the faculty of the Mathematics Department at Rutgers New Brunswick for informational purposes. While we try to maintain it, information may not be current or may not apply to individual sections. The authority for content, textbook, syllabus, and grading policy lies with the current instructor.
Information posted prior to the beginning of the semester is frequently tentative, or based on previous semesters. Textbooks should not be purchased until confirmed with the instructor. For generally reliable textbook information—with the exception of sections with an alphabetic code like H1 or T1, and topics courses (197,395,495)—see the textbook list.