Grad Student Chapter of the AMS
Welcome to the webpage of the Rutgers University Graduate Student Chapter of the American Mathematical Society. Thanks for visiting!
To contact the Chapter, please contact one of the officers:
- March 1, 2017: Special Seminar
- Please join us at 2pm in Hill 701 for a talk by Professor Keith Weber from the Rutgers Gradaute School of Engineering. The talk is entitiled, "A primer on undergraduate mathematics education research: Students' understandings of lectures and proof." Abstract: The aim of this presentation is to help familiarize the audience with the nature of research in undergraduate mathematics education. In this talk, I will review several studies that my research group has conducted about mathematics undergraduates' understanding of the proofs that they read and that they observe in lectures. To help acquaint the audience with the enterprise of undergraduate mathematics education, emphasis will be given on how our research group formulated our research questions and why we chose the research methodologies that we did to investigate the problem.
- February 2, 2017: Facebook
- The AMS Gradaute Chapter has created a Facebook Page and has invited us all to join: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1907367759492602/
- October 10, 2016: Game Day
- Hi everyone, Do you wish you had somewhere to go to celebrate Dwight Eisenhower's birthday this Friday? Looking for an excuse to blow off some steam? Well look no further! This Friday the Rutgers AMS Graduate Student Chapter will be hosting its first social event! There will be super-fun math-themed games (including the ever-popular math balderdash!), cool prizes, and tasty snacks. All this will be in Hill 701 this Friday at 3:00 pm, following the pizza seminar. We hope you all can join us! By the way - we'll be hosting a panel in early November on academic but non R-1 jobs which should be very enlightening. More on that to come. Sincerely, Becky Coulson, on behalf of the chapter leadership team
- September 13, 2016: On the subject of Hoodies
- This year your AMS grad chapter is working on getting hoodies made. The first step in the surprisingly long path to achieving this goal is agreeing on a design. Therefore we are asking you, the graduate students, to come up with possible designs and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop your ideas off in Hill 605B by Tuesday September 20th. If no suggestions are sent in then you will be subjected to a design provided by the AMS chapter e-board and let me assure you that most of these people don't have a creative bone in their body.
- September 6, 2016: First Day of the Semester
- The AMS Graduate Chapter just wanted to wish everyone good luck on the first day of the semester! Don't forget to check our website for any upcoming events we may be hosting.
- May 5, 2016: Grading Party after Party
- The grading party after party will begin after the grading in done, so we're guessing that's around 5:00 pm. It will be held in the graduate student lounge and goes until whenever people don't feel like staying anymore. Last year was a big hit, and we're sure this year's party will be too. We will also have a short (half hour) music performance from Matt and Frank around 7:30. It should be fun, so stick around or come to the party for that as well.
The Chapter was founded in 2014 with over two dozen founding members. The Chapter is supported by the AMS under its Graduate Student Chapter program. The mission of the Chapter is the same as that of the AMS itself: "The particular business and objects of the Society are the furtherance of the interests of mathematical scholarship and research" (AMS Certificate of Incorporation, 3 May 1923).
The Chapter organizes speakers and events at Rutgers, sometimes in tandem with other student groups aligned with mathematical or scientific interests. The Chapter supports student travel to sectional and national meetings and gives annual awards for outstanding work by graduate students and their mentors.
The Chapter leadership has been as follows:
|2013-2014||Kellen Myers||Moulik Balasurbramanian||Matthew Russell||←|
|2014-2015||Rebecca Coulson||Jonathan Jaquette||Tom Sznigir||←|
|2015-2016||Brooke Logan||Michael Donders||Hanlong Fang||←|
|2016-2017||Rebecca Coulson||Brooke Logan||Michael Donders||Hanglong Fang|